For the average individual, regular dental checkups might appear to be unnecessary. Though semi-annual visits to Columbia Dental Care & Associates may seem a little bit redundant, they are quite advantageous. For the finest family dentistry in Kissimmee, FL, you’ll need to visit our office twice a year for a teeth cleaning and regular examinations.
Routine checkups are a standard procedure in the world of dentistry. Although going in for a checkup every 6 months might feel like an inconvenience, regular examinations are beneficial for one’s teeth. Though checkups are often perceived as nothing but quick hygiene cleaning and a complimentary toothbrush, routine dental checkups at Columbia Dental Care & Associates consist of a thorough process of precautionary measures — all of which are designed to keep patients at the best family dentistry in Kissimmee healthy and happy!
It is very important that all patients are examined, regardless of present/non-present symptoms. But what does a dental examination consist of?
The Dental Checkup Process
- The average dental checkup begins with a process called scaling, where the dental hygienist will use special tools to scrape plaque and tartar off of teeth. Although plaque can be removed by simply brushing and flossing, tartar requires the help of a professional. Tartar is formed when plaque hardens on teeth, so it can be difficult to remove on one’s own.
- Next, the dental hygienist will polish the patient’s teeth to remove surface stains.
- The dental hygienist will report findings to the dentist and take X-rays if necessary.
- After reviewing your findings, the dentist will begin your dental exam by giving a quick teeth examination, which will be followed by the examination of your gums, soft palate, throat, and neck. These examinations are done for several reasons, the first being gum disease. Because gum disease can be difficult to spot in its early stages, it’s very important that the dentist checks for worrying symptoms. Some of the symptoms that the dentist will look for include:
- Receding gums
- Deep gum pockets
The second reason that dentists perform these examinations is to check for signs of oral cancer, which can be life-threatening if undetected. To do so, the dentist will look for dead tissue caused by tumors.
The third reason that dentists perform these examinations is to look for underlying health issues that may be present, such as issues with lymph nodes, swelling in the neck and jaw, and any lumps.
5.Lastly, the dentist will review any X-rays, suggest dental work, and discuss your dental habits with you.
At Columbia Dental Care & Associates, we perform dental checkups to keep you healthy. The goal of our family dentistry in Kissimmee is to ensure that you are comfortable with your teeth by preventing problems before they arise. And of course, we pride ourselves in our service, which prevents the formation of cavities and tooth decay.
Here are some steps that you can take to keep your teeth clean until your next dental checkup at Columbia Dental Care & Associates:
- Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste twice a day for 2 minutes
- Replace your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months
- Floss once a day
- Use mouthwash (optional)
If you do not currently have a checkup scheduled at our family dentistry in Kissimmee, you can schedule one by calling (407) 933-4343, emailing us at email@example.com, or scheduling one via our website.